SEND Information Report


This document was been produced jointly by the schools of the North Runnymede Learning Partnership, with each school adding its own specific information

  1. How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

  • We receive information from pupils’ previous schools.
  • The progress of all pupils is monitored regularly by class teachers and the senior leadership team, so that when a pupil is not making expected progress in a particular area of learning the school can identify the need for additional support. This will then be discussed with parents/carers and the pupil concerned.
  • If parents/carers have concerns about the progress or attainment of their child they should in the first instance make an appointment to speak to the class teacher to discuss their concerns, who will then liaise with our Special Needs Coordinator (SENCO) as appropriate
  1. How will the school staff support my child?

  • Our school provision map shows the range of interventions in place in our school which may be used when we identify a need for additional support
  • When the school identifies the need for additional intervention to enable a pupil to make expected progress the parents/carers will be informed of the planned support and may be invited to a meeting at the school to discuss this further.
  • We will monitor the progress of all children receiving additional support to ensure that the provision we have put in place is having the impact we are expecting
  • Governors are responsible for monitoring the effectiveness of the provision in place for pupils identified with SEND and they will receive a report from the SENCO on the progress of pupils with SEND.
  1. How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

  • All teachers are provided with information on the needs of individual pupils so that they can plan the learning within our curriculum to ensure that all pupils are able to make progress.
  • Differentiation is made for groups and individuals according to need: for example, if a child has Speech, Language and Communication Needs, teachers will use simplified language and/or pictures to support them to understand new vocabulary.
  1. How will both you and I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning?

  • Reports and Parents’ Evenings give parents and carers regular feedback on their children.
  • When appropriate, parents/carers may be contacted to discuss the support that the school is providing and how they canhelp their child at home: this may be a phone call or a meeting. Pupils’ views will be obtained when appropriate and they may attend all or part of any meeting.
  • Additional contact/meetings will be arranged as appropriate.
  1. What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

  • All pupils are supported with their social and emotional development throughout the school day, through the curriculum and extra-curricular activities such as circle time in class.
  • Our Behaviour Policy; which includes guidance on expectations, rewards and sanctions is fully understood and in place by all staff.
  • We regularly monitor attendance, support pupils returning to school after absence and take the necessary actions to prevent prolonged unauthorised absence.
  • Relevant staff are trained to support medical needs and for some cases all staff receive training.  We have a medical policy in place.
  • Pupils’ views are central to our ethos and are sought individually or through school council and other forums.
  1. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

  • All external partners we work with are vetted in terms of safe guarding and when buying in additional services we monitor the impact of any intervention against cost, to ensure a value for money service.
  • Educational outside agencies include: Educational Psychology (EPS); Behaviour Support (BS); Learning and Language Support (LLS); Outreach Services, including ASD(Autism Spectrum Disorder) and MLD(Moderate Learning Difficulties) ; Short Stay Schools; Raising Ethnic Minority Achievement (REMA), which includes  English Additional Language  and Traveller Service support.
  • Specialist health services including Speech and Language Therapy (SALT); Physical and Sensory Support Service (PSSS), including Hearing Impaired Service (HI) and Visually Impaired Service (VI); Occupational Therapy (OT); Physiotherapy (PT); Child and Adolescent Mental Health (CAMHS); Behaviour Clinic, other health professionals
  • We work with Social Services and Community Police.
  1. What training have the staff supporting children with SEND had or are having?

  • We regularly invest time and money in training our staff to improve Wave_1  provision for all students (excellent teaching for the whole class) and to develop enhanced skills and knowledge to deliver Wave 2 (short term interventions) and Wave 3 (individualised interventions). 
  • Our Special Needs Coordinator (SENCo) is a qualified teacher and has received relevant SEN training including the recently introduced Post Graduate SENCO Qualification.
  • All our teachers hold qualified teacher status and all staff members, including TAs and HLTAs, receive regular training to best support our pupils with SEND.
  1. How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

  • Our Equality/Inclusion Policy promotes involvement of all our learners in all aspects of the curriculum including activities outside the classroom.
  • Where there are concerns of safety and access, further thought and consideration is put in place to ensure needs are met when possible through reasonable adjustment and where applicable parents/carers are consulted and involved in planning.
  1. How accessible is the school environment?

  • We have an Accessibility Plan in place and when feasible, make reasonable adjustments to improve the accessibility of our environment. Our policy and practice adheres to The Equality Act 2010.
  • We monitor the languages spoken by families in our settings and make use of translation sites and endeavour to arrange for a translator to attend meetings when necessary.
  1. How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school, transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life?

  • We have an Induction programme in place for welcoming all new learners to our setting.
  • We have very good relationships with any feeder settings and the settings children move onto and share information to support pupils’ learning and well-being at transition.
  • Further support is provided as necessary for those with SEND including additional visits to the new setting, both individually and as part of an additional transition programme for identified pupils.
  1. How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

  • Our finances are monitored/audited regularly and we utilise resources to support the strategic aims of our setting as well as individual learner needs. 
  • We seek to ensure a ‘value for money’ service, so all interventions are costed and evaluated.
  1. How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

  • Quality First Inclusive Practice (Wave 1) is clearly defined in our setting and we expect all staff to deliver this.
  • Should additional (Wave 2 or 3) support be required, this is undertaken after consultation with the relevant staff, the learner and their families as necessary.  All interventions are monitored for impact and outcomes are defined at the start of any intervention.  The SENCO oversees all additional support and regularly shares updates with the SEN Governor
  1. How are parents involved in the school?  How can I be involved?

  • We work in partnership with parents to support each child’s well-being, learning needs, progress and aspirations.
  • We operate an open-door policy to allow parents to contact staff.
  • Parents are invited to become involved in school-life through a number of means. We have an active and supportive Parent/Teacher Association.
  • Our Governing Body includes Parent Governors.
  1. Who can I contact for further information?

  • In the first instance, parents/carers are encouraged to talk to their child’s class teacher.  For students with SEND, further information and support can be obtained from the SENCO.